Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Going Ahead

One of the images that I have found most helpful in recent days is that of God going ahead of the Israelites in their escape from Egypt. The cloud led them by day and the fire led them by night. There was no question that God was with them in the plagues and Passover, but seeing God moving ahead of them might have seemed a new revelation. My recent trip to ancient Asia Minor reminded that God did this in the New Testament as well. I saw some of the 57,000 miles of road that the Romans built before Paul took his missionary journeys down those roads. God had used the pagan Romans to pave the way for the Gospel! In my recent family trials I can see how God has made a way for me ahead of time. My parents became ill in a month when my sermons were almost completely researched and I was even scheduled to be off a Sunday. There were almost no church crises and no funerals--very unusual for January. As I drove down I-37 I realized that not only were the roads paved --so was my schedule. God had given me extra time to spend with my parents. In those times I may not have always noticed God's presence but now I can see God was indeed there--way before I got there!
DMac

No comments: