Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Mythbusters I

On New Year's weekend, both of my parents became ill and one was hospitalized. Over the last ten days my brothers and sisters have rotated responsibilities trying to help manage the situation. During this trying time I have learned a few things about myself including the dicovery of myths that I have been living by. The first myth I discovered while trying to assist one parent in the hospital while watching over the other one at home. I found that I could not be two places at once nor could I do things in a way that pleased me and the others involved. Surprisingly, I was surprised by this. Apparently I live in the myth of the "limitless self"-- the sense that I can do any and everything and keep everyone happy. The reality is that we were all created with limitations; even Jesus had to eat, drink, and sleep. Paul told the Philippians that he could do "all things" in Christ, but he did not say we should or even that he did. I believe he was pointing out that Christ's presence helped him cope in the midst of many trials. I am finding that to be the reality that keeps me going as my other myths fall apart.
DMac

1 comment:

Debbi's Blog said...

Hang in there Dave- we are all praying for you!